Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Can I wait to upgrade iLife & iWork?

I'm quite eager to try the new iLife '09, especially the Faces feature of iPhoto.  I think I'll also enjoy using the Places feature, and the Facebook & Flickr integration.  If I ever get time to use it, iMovie '09 also sounds like a big improvement.  And I'd like to play with the "learn to play piano" feature of GarageBand.  I don't use iWork often, but I've paid for the previous version and I expect it's worth upgrading.

But ironically the "Mac Box Set" may keep me from upgrading.  Or I suppose more accurately, the lack of an iLife/iWork bundle may keep me from upgrading.  iLife '09 costs $79, as does iWork '09.  (There's no discount for people who have previously purchased iLife '08 or iWork '08.)  The "Mac Box Set" is a bundle of iLife '09, iWork '09, and Mac OS X 10.5.6  Leopard, for $169.  But the new MacBook Pro I got in August came with Leopard, and I've already bought Leopard for my old PowerBook G4.  So that bundle doesn't save me any money.  But knowing the bundle exists makes me think I should wait for when Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6) is released (probably this summer) and buy the inevitable update of the "Mac Box Set" then.

No comments: